#RaiseMyHands - 16 Days of Activism Against Women & Child Abuse - Garth Taylor is Against Violence



Garth Taylor had a start in life that would have broken many.  He spent his first few years of his life in and out of orphanages and places of safety.  His guitar, a pen and paper, were the only constants during his turbulent, young life and he used his experiences to create music.  “Humanity is what inspires me, the trials and tribulations of real life and the triumph of the human spirit – that’s what I write songs about.”

Garth Taylor is committed to helping those in need.  He spends a fair amount of his time raising funds to create awareness for cancer and is also actively involved in charities for abused women and children.  ‘If I Could Raise My Hands’ (released in 2009) is a tribute to this cause.  “I would say that of all the songs I’ve ever written, this is one of the ones that mean the most to me.  The song is in empathy to victims of violence, a voice for those unheard and is also as a therapeutic method of speaking out about my experience.”

“If I could raise my hands I would
If I could stop the things you’re doing to me, you know I would
If I could say a word or two, I’d know I’d get to you
And say what I want to”


View the original video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4mIs-alG4.

November 25th marks the start of 16 Days of Activism for No Violence Against Women and Children, an international awareness-raising campaign.  The campaign takes place every year from 25 November (International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women) to 10 December (International Human Rights Day). The period includes Universal Children’s Day and World AIDS Day.  South Africa adopted the campaign in 1998 as one of the intervention strategies towards creating a society free of violence. The campaign continues to raise  awareness amongst South Africans about the negative impact of violence against women and children (VAW&C) on all members of the community.  For more information, visit https://www.gov.za/speeches/16-days-activism-2017-23-nov-2016-1319

No comments:

Post a Comment